today's work

You might have seen that I checked in a substantial amount of changes
today.  I get results from a test suite which mostly are correct in
identifying problems.  It's unfortunate that it's so late but better
than never.  Tomorrow I have another full day of debugging ahead of me
and once this is done I fear we have enough changes to invalidate
previous results.

But since almost all the changes affect wide char streams and other
wide char functions I doubt that another test release will be of much
help.  Instead I think it's much better to simply have the
distribution makers run their tests (and builds) and see whether the
changes cause problems.

If you know of any applications using wide char functions please start
testing.