Re: make install is pretty broken

   Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 12:12:58 -0700
   From: "H . J . Lu" <hjl@lucon.org>

   On Sat, Jul 29, 2000 at 05:47:51PM +0200, Mark Kettenis wrote:
   > If force-install = no, make install is broken, see the attached bits
   > from an install log.  The problems are probably caused by the
   > following patch:
   >
   > 2000-03-17  Cristian Gafton  <gafton@redhat.com>
   >
   > 	* elf/Makefile ($(rtld-version-installed-name)): Delay replacing
   > 	existing rtld-installed-name.
   > 	($(rtld-installed-name)): Request libc-$(version) be installed too.
   > 	replace existing rtld-installed-name using $(symbolic-link-prog).

   I have asked it a few times before. But I got zero positive responses:

   http://sources.redhat.com/ml/libc-alpha/2000-07/msg00047.html
   http://sources.redhat.com/ml/libc-alpha/2000-07/msg00048.html

Well, you've got one respsone now :-).

We can only guess at what problem Cristian's patch tries to solve, but
I guess it's overwriting glibc-x.y.z with glibc-x.y.z when there's
been a subtle change in the interface between libc.so and ld.so.

  I think we do agree that Cristian's patch is (obviously) wrong.  We
have a target `$(inst_slibdir)/$(rtld-version-installed-name)' that
only produces `$(inst_slibdir)/$(rtld-version-installed-name).new'.

Your patch seems to fix that, but partly reverts Cristian's patch.  I
have no objection to that.  The problem only occurs during
development.  People installing a development version of glibc should
now how to fix their system when it breaks in this situation.  And
Cristian's free to submit a new, correct, patch to solve his problems.

Mark