Re: My proposal for the libgcc runtime ABI (ia64 gcc/glibc is broken.)

Jeffrey A Law <law@cygnus.com> writes:

> Not necessarily.  One could certainly argue that if it's on the root
> filesystem that it ought to be linked statically.

Jeff, don't be ridiculous.  First, you should look at the reality.
Second, you are not the one who decides about this.  This is what I
meant by taking input from the maintainers of all the different
systems you are targetting: they are setting the ground rules.

Now you can (hopefully) see what I meant when I said you completely
underestimate the work.  You'll have to please dozends of different
system implementors with your grand unified scheme.

I personally don't care a bit about all these issues.  I have no
problem with recompiling my whole system since I use almost no program
where this is not possible and for the few I cannot recompile I can
find a way around this problem.

But you can be sure you'll have a few million other people on your
rear end if you screw this up.  And not coming up with a solution soon
will certainly be in this category.