Re: Debian problem with ld-linux.so.2 --list

At 13:49 -0800 2000-03-23, Ulrich Drepper wrote:
>I see no reason to change this.  First, I have no idea why the ldd
>script is ot used.  There is no reason for this.  Second, the
>"standard way" is to use the environment variable
>LD_TRACE_LOADED_OBJECTS.

First of all, this is due to the Debian-specific changes made to glibc's
ldd script and `LD_TRACE_LOADED_OBJECTS=1 foo' (where foo is a
dynamically-linked executable with one of its dependant shared objects not
found) segfaulting on alpha when a dependant library is missing.

The original change was due to Debian policy, which requires that shared
libraries not have the executable bit set, however glibc's ldd script hates
this (my kluge for this was to call \$RTLD explicitly, like older glibc
ldds used to do).

The second change was to use \$RTLD --list instead of
LD_TRACE_LOADED_OBJECTS=1, which kluged around the alpha segfault, but
broke it in other ways.

The alpha problem I should have reported, but this problem is a Debian one
and I am quite upset that it was forwarded here without so much as asking
me.
--
Joel Klecker (aka Espy)       <URL:mailto:espy@debian.org>
Debian Package Maintainer for the GNU C Library.