the setrlimit changes in glibc 2.1.3

The current changes in setrlimit that were backported to glibc 2.1.3 are
causing this library to become once again binary incompatible with the
preivious releases. You you have any dynamic library linked against a
previous version of glibc that is calling setrlimit, you'll not be able to
use it after upgrading to glibc 2.1.3.

At linking stage, the linker complains about an undefined
setrlimit@@GLIBC_2.0 symbol - this is because previously the setrlimit was
not a versioned symbol.

There are anumber of vendors that are hit by this problem, and I would
like to ask the hackers from other vendors what do they think about this
change. The options are:

1. revert the change and call it good for glibc 2.1. Life sucks.
2. build a custom object file (or static archive) that gets listed in
/usr/lib/libc.so that will provide that dummy symbol version - will this
work?
3. other options?

In any case, if we leave it the way it is now, we will be screwing up
people that have put out development environments linked against previous
versions of glibc. And again we are at fault.

Cristian
Cristian Gafton     --     gafton@redhat.com      --     Red Hat, Inc.
  "How could this be a problem in a country where we have Intel and
   Microsoft?"  --Al Gore on Y2K