Re: Ideas for rewrite of libm-test

>It just seems that basing the test cases on what the math functions
>produce (as is done now in practise, and will be done formally with
>your scheme) is doing it the wrong way around.

You can make arguments both ways.  If the required epsilons are greater than
the calculated error margin then clearly something is wrong (in either libc,
the compiler or the floatng point system). But it seems that compiler and
FP bugs are quite common, and we don't really want "make check" to fail on
platforms where the floating point support is substandard.

Perhaps it would be worth including two sets; the theoretical values and those
that are actually achievable in practice on each platform.  Or alternatively
with a more sophisticated test suite that allowed for expected failures I
suppose this would come out in the wash.  What happened to Zack's dejagnu
patches?

p.