Re: A static binary patch

> Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 22:22:45 -0700 (PDT)
> Cc: libc-hacker@sourceware.cygnus.com (GNU C Library)
> From: hjl@lucon.org (H.J. Lu)
>

> > > Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 07:32:49 -0700 (PDT)
> > > From: hjl@lucon.org (H.J. Lu)
> >
> > > My c_stubs addon has tests linked statically. When you run "make check"
> > > in c_stubs, it will try to run it with
> > >
> > > # ........./ld-linux.so.2 the_c_stubs_test .....
> > >
> > > Since the_c_stubs_test is linked statically, it doesn't work. If you
> > > can find a better way to fix it, I will appreciate it.
> >
> > Why not just use 'make' to handle all this?  Create a rule that knows
> > how to run static programs, variables to list the static programs, and
>
> That is what my "ld.so --verify" patch is for.

That's not what I was thinking of.

I mean, you create a rule that knows how to run static programs,
_without_ using ld.so or file or anything.

Eg. (you will want to fix this a bit to get directories right):

$(staticprogs) : %.out : %
	./$< > $@

Then put your static programs in $(staticprogs).  You must already
have a list of them because otherwise how do they get linked statically?

I imagine glibc can do this already because you can compile (or could
compile) with --disable-shared.

--
Geoffrey Keating <geoffk@cygnus.com>