Re: assert (! "unexpected dynamic reloc type");

>Any objections to changing this to use _dl_signal_error with
>a suitably composed message?

That sounds like a good idea to me.  In the particular case of the problem
your friend is having, chances are he has some shared object that was built
without -fPIC, or with a buggy version of GCC that didn't do PIC quite right.
This causes R_ARM_PC24 relocs to leak into shared objects where they can't be
handled.  I have considered on a couple of occasions adding an explicit error
message to explain what's wrong, but never got around to it.

p.