Integrating BIND 8.2

I've just been looking over the new BIND release.  It contains major updates
to libresolv, including Secure DNS (RFC 2065) which we want.  It should
integrate fairly easily into our tree - in fact, some of the ugly parts go
away.

There are legal problems with the security code.  It depends on RSA for
cryptographic signatures; the kit includes a subset of the RSAREF library,
issued under a license which is not even vaguely compatible with GPL.  Also,
it is probably illegal to export from the US.  We could just leave hooks in
libresolv and put a free clone into the crypt add on, except that RSA is
patented in the US, so the clone would not be a legal import.  (Are you
disgusted yet?)

I see three options:

- Ignore the obnoxious license, distribute the RSAREF subset with the main
body of libc.  Hope that ISC is right when it says it's legal to export.

- Ignore RSA's patent, which expires next year anyway, and put a free clone
into the crypt add-on.  Hope RSA doesn't sue the FSF.

- Put RSAREF, or a subset, into the crypt add-on.  Hope this doesn't make
libcrypt *binaries* illegal to export from the US, screwing two of the three
major distributions.  Also, is RSAREF available outside the US?

zw

distributions.