Re: GNU libio vs. GNU stdio.

As author of GNU stdio, let me summarize the (hopefully) final answers:

I wrote GNU stdio as part of GNU libc, before the existence of GNU libio.
GNU stdio is still in use on the Hurd, but it is obsolete because nobody
has wanted to maintain it for a long time, and because libio subsumes its
functionality.  The Hurd will use libio when we get around to doing the
necessary work; then we will drop the old stdio code entirely from GNU libc.

The GNU stdio implementation does include some hacks for binary
compatibility with old Unix stdios, not that this has been of much use to
anyone in recent memory.  Those hacks are not all that specific the GNU
stdio, and could fairly easily be implemented on libio too if they were of
any use.