Re: Symbol versioning question

Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@cs.cmu.edu> writes:

|> > I thought I understood this problem to be one between two
|> > versions of 2.1.
|> >

|> But as I understand it it will happen on a 2.0->2.1 upgrade anyway.
|>
|> It will require that, to compile new programs, every library be linked
|> against 2.1.  It doesn't harm actual binary compatibility, just
|> compile-time binary compatibility, as it were.  I still don't see why
|> this has to be the case.

But this can't be avoided.  Every part of the binary, statically or
dynamically linked, must use the same version of libio.  So if you have a
library that uses a GLIBC_2.0 FILE it won't work with another library that
uses a GLIBC_2.1 FILE.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab                                      "And now for something
schwab@issan.cs.uni-dortmund.de                      completely different"