Re: Glibc 2.0.104 FAQ proposed improvement

Horst> Andreas Jaeger <aj@arthur.rhein-neckar.de> said:
>> > Horst von Brand writes:
>>
>> > "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl> said:

Horst> [...]

> [...]

Horst> That will only work if it is in /usr/src/linux.

>> Are you sure?  I just tested it and it works for me.  Looking at  the
>> linux make file I don't see a reason why it shouldn't.

Horst> Yes. /usr/include/linux --> /usr/src/linux/include/linux, if 2.1 is not in
Horst> /usr/src/linux, you loose.

I think you're misunderstanding the issues involved.  We're speaking
about using a kernel which is *not* linked to /usr/include/linux and
using --with-headers
(e.g. --with-headers=/usr/src/linux-2.1.107/include).  Please have a
look at the complete FAQ text.

Andreas

P.S. Here's the full FAQ entry:

1.8.	What version of the Linux kernel headers should be used?

{AJ,UD} The headers from the most recent Linux kernel should be used.  The
headers used while compiling the GNU C library and the kernel binary used
when using the library do not need to match.  The GNU C library runs without
problems on kernels that are older than the kernel headers used.  The other
way round (compiling the GNU C library with old kernel headers and running
on a recent kernel) does not necessarily work.  For example you can't use
new kernel features when using old kernel headers for compiling the GNU C
library.

{ZW} Even if you are using a 2.0 kernel on your machine, we recommend you
compile GNU libc with 2.1 kernel headers.  That way you won't have to
recompile libc if you ever upgrade to kernel 2.1 or 2.2.  To tell libc which
headers to use, give configure the --with-headers switch
(e.g. --with-headers=/usr/src/linux-2.1.107/include).

Note that you must configure the 2.1 kernel if you do this, otherwise libc
will be unable to find <linux/version.h>.  Just change the current directory
to the root of the 2.1 tree and do `make include/linux/version.h'.

--
 Andreas Jaeger   aj@arthur.rhein-neckar.de    jaeger@informatik.uni-kl.de
  for pgp-key finger ajaeger@aixd1.rhrk.uni-kl.de