Re: make dist

Zack Weinberg <zack@rabi.phys.columbia.edu> writes:

> What I'd like to do is have a file MANIFEST at top level that lists every
> file that goes into the distribution.  This file is generated essentially by
> running 'find . -type f -print | clean-up-list' in the source tree.

No, find is no option.

I don't kow for others but I have tons of files which are not
distributed in the source directory.  These are mostly unfinished
rewrites or new files.

And: software configuration management methods always should use
explicit naming and don't rely on implicit methods like using find.

So please, if you work on this, do it similar to the `make install'
method.  Let the Makefiles determine the files to be shipped and write
the names into a file.  Then a program can apply information from
.nodist files (please, one for each effected directory) and afterwards
GNU tars -T option can be used.

-- Uli