Re: Contribution checklist v2

On Mon, 7 Oct 2019, Florian Weimer wrote:

> * Joseph Myers:
>
> > On Mon, 7 Oct 2019, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
> >
> >> There is a difference between testing for commit vs. testing in general.
> >
> > A key thing about testing for commit is *describe the testing you did in
> > the commit message*.  That way, a reviewer has the information needed to
> > consider whether the testing described was sufficient for the patch in
> > question or not.
>
> When you say “in the commit message”, do you mean that this
> information should be committed to Git, too?

In my view it should be included in the commit message, as committed to
git.  That way, if an issue shows up later with the change, the
information is immediately there in git to see what was covered in the
initial testing and what wasn't.

In most cases this information is short and simple - naming an
architecture on which the testsuite was run, or saying the change was
tested with build-many-glibcs.py.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com