Re: Can getaddrinfo() be extended to return the record TTL

Florian Weimer <fweimer@redhat.com> wrote:
> * David Howells:
> > If it's not possible to extend getaddrinfo() in this way, would it be possible
> > to provide a getaddrinfo2() that returns this information through an
> > additional parameter?
>
> That definitely would be a new ABI.
>
> New ABIs have a lead time of around three years before productization.
> Is this something you could work with?

Fwiw, gaicb has an "int __glibc_reserved[5]" field; so it's
probably possible to extend the already-glibc-specific getaddrinfo_a(3)
to return the TTL.

I was looking into getting the TTL the other week for something
else, but settled on using a dedicated thread to call
getaddrinfo(3) every few seconds and publishing updates to other
threads via URCU.