Re: CPython vs libstdc++

On 11/07/2019 17:13, Zack Weinberg wrote:
> I have been investigating a mysterious problem with Python extension
> modules that use C++ internally.  If I'm right about the cause, I
> suspect that it can't be fixed without changes to the dynamic linker,
> and I think we may need to have a dialogue between Python core
> maintainers and GNU toolchain maintainers to figure out what Python
> wants to be possible and how much of that is feasible for GCC and
> glibc to support.
>
> The surface symptoms of the problem are that, if you load two
> unrelated modules, both of which use "enough" C++ features internally,
> into the same process, the entire interpreter crashes, with stack
> traces pointing at the guts of libstdc++.  It is unclear exactly which
> C++ features trigger the crash and it is also unclear whether it
> matters what version or versions of G++ the modules were compiled by.
> I have not had any luck constructing a minimal test case.
>
> People who are deeply familiar with the internals of the Python
> interpreter tell me that this "should be impossible" because each
> module is loaded into its own ELF namespace.  I can't actually verify
> that for myself -- I don't see any references to dlmopen() in CPython
> 3.7's source code, and as far as I know, that's the only way to do
> that.  But assuming it's true, it immediately raises a red flag for

they don't use dlmopen, but dlopen with RTLD_LOCAL
(well they only pass RTLD_NOW by default but that means local,
you can check/change this by sys.getdlopenflags() and sys.set...)

> me, because I do know that both g++-compiled C++ in general, and
> critical bits of libstdc++ in particular (e.g. the exception unwinder)
> rely on certain data objects being unique within the entire address
> space (process).
>
> On the hypothesis that the problem is caused by two copies of
> libstdc++.so and/or libgcc_s.so being loaded into a single address
> space, which cannot reasonably be made to work, even if they're the
> exact same version: we need some way of loading a shared object such
> that only one copy will be loaded, and reused for each ELF namespace
> that needs it.  As far as I can tell, this is currently not possible.
> Ideally the trigger for this behavior would be an annotation on each
> shared object that needs it, rather than requiring all programs that
> use ELF namespaces to be aware of the issue; however, we might _also_
> want a way for a program that uses ELF namespaces to request this
> behavior, in case it's trying to support old libraries that don't have
> the annotation even though they ought to.

there is known conflict between RTLD_LOCAL and c++ odr requirement
for 'vague linkage' objects, the gnu toolchain solution using
STB_GNU_UNIQUE binding may have issues (and that can be turned
off in gcc/gold so we would need to know what toolchain were used
for those python modules)

it's also possible that some modules were built with -static-libstdc++
you will have to dig further.