Question about EI_ABIVERSION handling

Hi all,

Apologies to the recipients who received this message more than once.

While I was trying to update an old MIPS PT_GNU_STACK proposal [1] in time for the new ABI
freeze I've noticed an oddity in handling of EI_ABIVERSION field.

It seems that ld.so does not validate EI_ABIVERSION of main executable when the said
executable is loaded directly by the kernel.
I does do so if ld.so is run as a command and then loads the main executable by itself.

Is this behavior intended? If I would wish to ensure that executable with newer ABI
version get rejected by the old loaders, am I expected to add some other incompatible change like
new dynamic tag?

[1] https://sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2016-02/msg00076.html

Best regards,

Dragan