Re: Avoid "inline" after return type in function definitions

Joseph Myers wrote:
if you use a list
of individual options instead of -Wextra, there are lots that are
appropriate to use, and the list increases with each GCC version so you
keep needing configure tests for new options.

Gnulib's manywarnings module does this: it tests for almost all GCC warning options (excluding only warnings that would seem to be harmful for pretty much any GNU project), and provides a way for each project to tailor the list of warnings, typically by omitting options that are not useful for that project. Because we update manywarnings with each new GCC release, downstream projects that use the module don't need to track GCC versions all that carefully.

manywarnings arranges for 'configure'-time tests for all the warnings, and could be used as a source of ideas for glibc, if we wanted to go that route.