Re: Changes to "Contribution Checklist" -- Format of the contribution.

On Wed, 13 Feb 2019, Carlos O'Donell wrote:

> (a) We get consensus that we want a patch that is in the form
>     generated by git format-patch.

I think that more specifically we want a patch in the form that works with
"git am" (and the formatting details are only really relevant anyway for a
contributor without write access, save insofar as it's unclear what is
actually proposed to be committed).  For example, that includes the "---"
convention for information in the patch submission that is not intended to
be part of the commit message, such as information about changes relative
to the previous version of that patch.

In practice commit messages from inexperienced contributors need
significant editing before use (and ChangeLog entries even more so), so
exactly how they arrange the ChangeLog part of the submission doesn't
matter much.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com