Re: Require GCC 5 or later to build glibc (bug 23993)

On Tue, 18 Dec 2018, Adhemerval Zanella wrote:

> Wouldn't be better to focus on change toolchain requirements at the start
> of release cycle?

This particular patch is recognizing a requirement that has already been
introduced (two months ago - it evidently took a long time for it to be
noticed) as a side effect of using atomic_load_relaxed on a pointer to
const (I think - in turn, via how the default atomic_load_relaxed
constructs an asm output using typeof, resulting in that asm output
variable being const and the error quoted in the bug report).  Given that
we have such a requirement in fact on some architectures, and given how
long we've had 4.9 as official minimum GCC version for building glibc, it
seemed to make more sense to make the requirement for GCC 5 an official
one everywhere rather than trying to figure out how to get things working
on older compilers.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com