Re: extending wait4(2) or waitid(2) linux syscall

On Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 9:15 AM Arnd Bergmann <arnd@arndb.de> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 4:18 PM Florian Weimer <fweimer@redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > * Arnd Bergmann:

> > > Getting back to this point: you could also do the same thing with
> > > the CLONE_FD approach from Josh Triplett[1] or Casey Dahlin's
> > > older waitfd() syscall, correct?
> >
> > A descriptor-based solution would not be useful to glibc because
> > applications assume that glibc does not (persistently) open any file
> > descriptors behind t heir back.

*My* long-term goal is to expose all new process-related functionality
as operations on file descriptors. I really don't want to further
complicate the wait*(2) series of functions.

Whether the file descriptor is opened "persistently" or not is an
implementation detail. A multi-threaded program can observe the file
descriptor being open regardless. The right approach here is to
abandon this strange requirement that glibc not use file descriptors
for its own purposes. File descriptors are just kernel resource
handles, and it's not reasonable for applications to expect that the
libraries they use do not manage resources for their own purposes.
This self-imposed never-open-file-descriptors behavior on glibc's part
has created API design problems in the past (e.g., with the randomness
functions) and should be abandoned.