Re: [RFC] ChangeLog generation script

On Sat, Nov 24, 2018 at 3:10 AM Paul Eggert <eggert@cs.ucla.edu> wrote:
> Zack Weinberg wrote:
> > I find *writing*
> > changelog entries by hand to be a valuable discipline.  It forces me
> > to read every line of the patch I'm about to submit, and I've caught
> > mistakes dozens of times because of it.
>
> That's fine, and you can continue doing that even after we have a script. Other
> "stop and think twice" techniques work better for me, in the sense that they
> find mistakes more efficiently than ChangeLog-writing does. (Reading the diff is
> one of these techniques.) The goal is developing and maintaining the best
> software we can with the limited resources we have.

To be clear, I wasn't saying that everyone should do it my way; I was
only presenting an example of why someone who finds very little use
for the historical information in the ChangeLog files might still not
mind writing entries by hand (and therefore wants to concentrate on
other ways in which ChangeLog maintenance is a pain).

zw