Re: Official Linux system wrapper library?

On Fri, Nov 23, 2018 at 12:15:39PM -0800, Daniel Colascione wrote:

> > > What about them? Mentioning that these system calls exist is not in
> > > itself an argument.
> >
> > But socketcall does not exist on all architectures.  Neither does
> > getpid, it's called getxpid on some architectures.
>
> So what? On systems on which a given system call does not exist,
> attempts to link against that system call should fail, or attempts to
> make that system call should fail at runtime with ENOSYS. That's
> completely expected and unsurprising behavior, not some unavoidable
> source of catastrophic confusion.

I'm sorry but you've just said that getpid() must either be unavailable or
fail on those architectures that provide no syscall with exactly the same
semantics as getpid syscall.  Nobody is going to use a libc that doesn't
provide getpid() in a reliable way.

If you really need a 1-1 correspondence between syscalls and C wrappers,
there is syscall(3) with all associated portability issues.

If you need something else, please be more specific, i.e. be ready to give
a detailed answer about every syscall ever supported by the kernel,
on every supported architecture.

My first trivial question is, do you need C wrappers for
__NR_epoll_create, __NR_eventfd, __NR_inotify_init,
and __NR_signalfd syscalls?

--
ldv