Re: Building Python 3 on old distributions

On Sunday 09 September 2018 03:15 AM, Joseph Myers wrote:
I think anything not in the python standard library (such as matplotlib)
should be avoided for normal "make" and "make check" (without ruling out
e.g. having a script using matplotlib for plotting benchmark results,
which people would have to explicitly run should they wish to do so).

That sounds good.

(I'm unsure about whether modules depending on ctypes and thus on libffi
are or are not an issue, or quite what you'd end up losing if you don't
have ctypes - although when building Python 3.7 without libffi, the
install of Python failed because it ran ensurepip which failed for lack of
ctypes.)

I think we have a good starting point; trying to get a minimal install that doesn't depend on libffi may be a nice thing to aspire to if feasible, but not necessary right now.

https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/Style_and_Conventions#Python_usage_conventions
now includes a statement on what modules may be used.

Looks good, thanks.

I'm incidentally dubious of the use of the scripts/ directory in some
cases where we currently use it - I think that scripts only actually used
from a single subdirectory and not from toplevel would better go in that
subdirectory rather than scripts/ (which covers at least a few of the
scripts there).

Agreed.

Siddhesh