Re: Towards Meargeable patch submissions for glibc

On Mon, 3 Sep 2018, Siddhesh Poyarekar wrote:

> I agree that is the ideal place to be in but it seems much harder to
> auto-generate a full ChangeLog entry in that manner and not something I

Such a script specifically does not need to generate a full ChangeLog
entry (with separate descriptions of what changed in each entity), just a
list of changed entities.

> That is, it is less about ChangeLog formats and more about getting it out of
> the patch body.  Would you be in favour of this decoupling?

I suspect there will be enough badly formatted commit messages that you'd
need to keep fixing things up after them, or to add hooks to check commits
on master for the required formatting.  If there are too many such commits
it might not save much work in the end (given it's not saving the main
time sink with ChangeLog entries, which is writing them in the first
place).

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com