Re: Invalid program counters and unwinding

Hi,

On Thu, 28 Jun 2018, Jeff Law wrote:

> I believe "dumb" is referring to the fact that we're already in a bit of
> a weird state as evidenced by the NULL FDE.  Blindly trying to read the
> contents of the PC that we couldn't map to an FDE is, IMHO, dumb.
>
> One might even be able to argue in this day and age that we should have
> suitable descriptors for everything.  If no suitable descriptor is found
> then backtracing should stop.  Lack of suitable descriptors in any code
> would be considered a bug in that scenario.

I disagree.  ASM code often lacks unwind descriptors (now less than in the
past, but still).  My rule of thumb is always: no descriptor -> has to be
a framepointer-using routine with standard calling sequence.  (I.e.
declare the combination of no descriptor and no fp to be a bug).  Some of
the callee-saved register will temporarily be wrong but unwinding can
continue.

Ciao,
Michael.