Re: glibc and linux-man disagrees about pkey_alloc

On 05/16/2018 01:10 PM, Szabolcs Nagy wrote:
glibc sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/bits/mman-shared.h:

int pkey_alloc (unsigned int __flags, unsigned int __access_rights) __THROW;

linux-man http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man2/pkey_alloc.2.html :

int pkey_alloc(unsigned long flags, unsigned long access_rights);

i assume the documentation should be fixed (as the glibc
code is already in use)

unsigned long on the kernel side is unsigned long long in userspace for the x32 variant of x86-64, so the kernel types aren't that helpful for describing the user-space interface in an architecture-independent fashion. I expect the flags to be consistent across architectures, so there can only be 32 of them anyway, and access rights currently use two bits on x86 (and three on POWER, I think).

Thanks,
Florian