Re: The "abortion" joke

On Thu, 2018-05-10 at 15:21 -0300, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> On May 10, 2018, Torvald Riegel <triegel@redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > LOL
>
> > When one doesn't filter what's coming through the "waves [...] on the
> > Internet", sometimes it just brings a whole lot of garbage that
> > otherwise circles around itself out there on the ocean :)
>
> Torvald,
>
> I believe such a toxic tone is not adequate for this community, unlike
> that of the message you responded to.

Did you really mean "unlike" or "like"?

> To me, your message comes across
> as a provocation within the cool-down period, and as an attempt to
> suppress dissenting speech that I happen to find throughtful and
> appropriate.  That's not surprising that we disagree about it: I largely
> agree with that opinion, and you disagree.

Please read the original message again, and tell me with a straight face
that as written, this was appropriate in *any* way -- for example,
considering sentences such as this one :
"I don't know about the mental damage someone must have taken to make
such a statement."
There are several more such nuggets in that mail..

It's so far across the line that it's not even useful to take it
seriously.  IMO, the best one can do with such posts is laugh about the
attempt to be mean to others (ie, "being harsh" in the last paragraph of
the mail), file it under what it is, and move on.  Which is what I
expressed in my reply.

If the anonymous poster would care to post a non-abusive opinion that's
on-topic for the glibc community -- after the cool-down period -- we can
still try to discuss the actual content.