Re: [rain1 at airmail dot cc] Delete abortion joke

On May  9, 2018, Siddhesh Poyarekar <siddhesh@gotplt.org> wrote:

> On 05/09/2018 09:57 PM, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
>> I'll just note you didn't answer the questions, so I'll restate them:
>> per the rules, would a standing objection suggest we don't have
>> consensus and should at least check whether the objection was serious,
>> or is there any justification for outright dismissing it as if it wasn't
>> even there?

> It is a judgment call and absent Ondrej's insistence, I still see no
> reason to revisit it especially since the commit has been reverted for
> now.  If Ondrej responds saying that his objection was a sustained
> one, I'll be happy to change my opinion on it.

So let me see if I understand correctly.

DJ's objection to the joke counts as objection to the proposal restoring
the initial conditions because, after the fact, he says it meant it to
be despite not having confirmed even reading the proposal.

Other's claims, also after the fact, that they just refrained from
voicing their positions because DJ's had already stated his also count.

Ondrej's objection to removing the joke, however, doesn't count unless
he restates it, because it might have been meant just as a joke, and
nobody thought of asking him to confirm *before* going ahead and running
over it.

RMS's objection to removing the joke, written down next to the joke,
doesn't count, because, well <insert hand-wavy note> and, yeah, we
it should have, but, but, we didn't, and sorry, it's too late now.

My and anyone else's unstated objection to removing the joke, that was
not posted in a hurry because Ondrej's objection already was in effect,
no, sorry, that doesn't count, because...  we don't want it to either.

Are you not even just a little bit ashamed of displaying such a blatant
bias?

Free Software Evangelist|Red Hat Brasil GNU Toolchain Engineer