Re: delete abortion joke

Don Barry <don@sirtf.com> writes:

> My guess is that none of those criticizing Richard here are actually
> members of the FSF.  Yes, they are employed to work on FSF projects, but
> their decision was made by corporate interests, not by solidarity with
> the interests on the principles upon which the FSF was founded.

Speaking as someone who is not a glibc maintainer or contributor (just a
user and an interested bystander), but who has been an FSF associate
member and financial supporter for fifteen years, I think Carlos is doing
an excellent job managing this conflict and completely agree with the
approach that he's taking.  He's trying to avoid binary choices, dig
deeper into the motivations of the conflicted parties, and look for
creative alternative solutions, and he's doing a much better job at it
than I would have managed.

For whatever it's worth (which I don't think is a ton, but since you
specifically called out FSF members such as myself), I have been delighted
with the community consensus model that has been used for glibc
development of late and think it serves the mission of the FSF extremely
well, including in steering the delicate path between empowering active
contributors and avoiding giving those funded to contribute as part of
their jobs too heavy a hand.

--
Russ Allbery (eagle@eyrie.org)              <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>