Re: [rain1 at airmail dot cc] Delete abortion joke

3.05.2018 13:07 Adhemerval Zanella <adhemerval.zanella@linaro.org> wrote:
> On 03/05/2018 04:01, Siddhesh Poyarekar wrote:
> > [...] I agree that it may be relevant to the FSF, but does that mean that I
> > can submit patches to add snippets about privacy invasions and/or human
> > rights violations in India given that I am an active GNU contributor?
> >
> > We probably agree on a lot of political and social issues (not that it is
> > even necessary), but the manual is just not the forum for it.
> >
> > Siddhesh
>
> I agree with Siddhesh, as we are seeing politics is a quite touchy subject
> specially with a forum with participants with different nationalities and
> political views. The current subject of abortion is *much* more complex
> than discussion so far, can be viewed from multiples political and
> philosophical ways than mere 'government censorship', and I really think
> glibc documentation is not the place to engage in such discussion.
>
> I see it is wiser to try to be more strictly formal and technical on a
> glibc documentation.
>
> We currently have many other places were one can express his political
> views and if you are not heard as you expect it is something you need to
> deal it.

I agree with these arguments.  It seems to me that the joke is impossible
to understand without a deep knowledge of internal affairs of the USA
(I hope I guessed correctly which country is this about), also it is not
clear if it refers to the current events or to some in the past.  Even
if understood it is not necessarily agreed by the readers, even if agreed
it is not relevant for those of us who are not US citizens, same as
our knowledge and opinion is not relevant to the US lawmakers.  IMHO this
makes the manual not appropriate to publish political messages applying to
a single country, no matter which country it is.  Should we all write about
the internal issues of our respective countries?  Thank you for removing
this part from the manual.  As the removal has now been reverted - well,
I have no power to object this.

Also, some of the posts here make me wonder if I have joined the right
project.  It definitely was not my intention to join any political or social
organization.  My motivation has always been exclusively technical.
Fortunately I am too young to actually have experienced this but I've heard
enough stories about scientific or industrial projects led by politicians
and persecution of scientists, engineers, and other employees who refused
to follow the core values of their leaders.

Regards,

Rafal