Question: more languages to support alternative month names?

Hi,

Bug 10871 has been fixed and any language and any application can have
a choice between two grammatical cases of the month names.  But having
a choice does not mean actually using it.  I had only little more
than one week between accepting the change by the community and the final
release date so I was unable to contact every language community to
ask about their opinion.  Only 7 languages have been fixed so far while
I have identified about 20 probably needing an update.  4 out of them
probably don't want two grammatical cases.  There are ~9 more languages
who I'm contacting only now.  It seems to me that at least few of them
will want this change.  So my question is: if they agree how to provide
them the change:

* push the change to master and tell them that they have to wait
  for glibc 2.28?
* push the change both to 2.27 and 2.28?

The first choice seems reasonable to me.  Those 7 fixed languages
have relatively large number of native speakers and the impact of the
bug was rather large.  Other languages either have low number of
speakers and it's difficult to find people actually using them with
computers or do not consider using an incorrect case as a language
error or have working or almost working workarounds.  So I think
it's OK for them to wait a little more.

Also, if we backport a change to a stable 2.27 release it is not
obvious to me if the distributions actually apply the upstream
patches to their binaries. What are your experiences?

Regards,

Rafal