Question Re: GPLed vs LGPLed files in GLIBC

Hello all,

I have come across an old commit which turned quite a few files in
GLIBC from LGPL to GPL:

https://sourceware.org/git/?p=glibc.git;a=commit;f=elf/cache.c;h=43bc8ac6eab0f952faa3f3ca7bd0adfcdba13d9a

and I am trying to understand the reason for it as well as the
implications from a license standpoint. However I could not find a
discussion of this patch in the archives, nor of any other LPGL to GPL
patch. No luck either searching on gnu-misc-discuss, nor in general Web
searches. The best I could find was a general explanation whereby
GLIBC /libraries/ are LGPL while the accompanying /programs/ are GPL.

Is this the right explanation, i.e., was this patch added to make
application, not library, source modules GPL? Or is it something else
entirely?

Cordialement,
Albert ARIBAUD
3ADEV