Re: glibc 2.27: 3 weeks till release

On Fri, 12 Jan 2018, Rafal Luzynski wrote:

> > What's the impact on statically linked applications? Will they continue
> > to be able to read both kinds of locale data?
>
> I have not tried this so I don't know, I assume they will not be able.
>
> Is it likely that an application linked statically against the new glibc
> will read the old locale data and there will be no chance to rebuild
> them from sources, or vice versa?  Note that the old locale data sources
> are valid, the new features are optional.

We've previously accepted some incompatibility of compiled locale files
with old glibc versions (and thus old statically linked binaries).  Note
the following in the NEWS file for 2.19:

* Binary locale files now only depend on the endianness of the system for
  which they are generated and not on other properties of that system.  As a
  consequence, binary files generated with new localedef may be incompatible
  with old versions of the GNU C Library, and binary files generated with
  old localedef may be incompatible with this version of the GNU C Library,
  in the following circumstances:

  + Locale files may be incompatible on m68k systems.

  + Locale archive files (but not separate files for individual locales) may
    be incompatible on systems where plain "char" is signed.

If the present change affects binary locale compatibility, such a note
will be needed in the "Deprecated and removed features, and other changes
affecting compatibility:" section of NEWS for 2.27.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com