Re: RFC: remove the "tile" architecture from glibc

Chris Metcalf <cmetcalf@mellanox.com> writes:

> The tile architecture was introduced to glibc in 2011 and first
> appeared in glibc 2.15.  The chip family of TILEPro and TILE-Gx was
> developed by Tilera, which was eventually acquired by Mellanox.  Now
> at Mellanox we are developing new chips based on the ARM64
> architecture; our last TILE-Gx chip (the Gx72) was released in 2013,
> and our customers using the tile architecture products are now all in
> maintenance mode, as far as we know, and not looking to upgrade their
> software to newer open-source releases.

At Cisco, we use TILE-Gx in current products, and we (try to) keep up to
date with new releases of both gcc and glibc (sadly not the kernel,
which has a large vendor patch).  We'd love to see the architecture
still being supported, although I don't think it would be the end of the
world if it didn't.

> If there is any desire to continue to support the tile architecture in
> glibc, I'm happy to hand off to someone else as maintainer.

I don't we have anyone capable of stepping up as maintainer, though.

--
Henrik Grindal Bakken <hgb@ifi.uio.no>
PGP ID: 8D436E52