This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: [PATCH] Linux: Add membarrier system call wrapper
- From: Torvald Riegel <triegel at redhat dot com>
- To: Florian Weimer <fweimer at redhat dot com>
- Cc: GNU C Library <libc-alpha at sourceware dot org>, "Paul E. McKenney" <paulmck at linux dot vnet dot ibm dot com>, Mathieu Desnoyers <mathieu dot desnoyers at efficios dot com>
- Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2017 15:51:27 +0100
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] Linux: Add membarrier system call wrapper
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
On Thu, 2017-12-21 at 15:08 +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:
> The documentation part of this patch was circulated off-list previously.
> The text received some positive feedback, some criticism, but no one
> proposed an alternative wording.
> Due to lack of consensus, we could add the system call without
> documentation. I do not think the documentation issue should block
> acceptance of the system call wrapper.
I disagree with the documentation that exists in the patch. It's not
accurate in my opinion.
I don't have a strong opinion on whether the wrapper is acceptable
without documentation, but if so, every explanation besides the first
paragraph in the section should be removed (with the following
exceptions, perhaps: MEMBARRIER_CMD_QUERY,
MEMBARRIER_CMD_REGISTER_PRIVATE_EXPEDITED, and if these are kept the
list of errors). Instead, we could just have some placeholder that says
that the specification the semantics is work in progress.