This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: [PATCH v2 05/15] RISC-V: Generic <string.h> Routines
- From: Joseph Myers <joseph at codesourcery dot com>
- To: Palmer Dabbelt <palmer at dabbelt dot com>
- Cc: <libc-alpha at sourceware dot org>, Andrew Waterman <andrew at sifive dot com>, Darius Rad <darius at bluespec dot com>, <dj at redhat dot com>
- Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2017 16:48:15 +0000
- Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 05/15] RISC-V: Generic <string.h> Routines
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org>
On Tue, 19 Dec 2017, Palmer Dabbelt wrote:
> This patch contains fast versions of the various routines from string.h
> that have been implemented for RISC-V. Since RISC-V doesn't define any
> specific performance characteristics they're not optimized for any
> particular microarchitecture, but are designed to be generally good.
I would again suggest deferring adding such functions, especially the C
ones, and instead helping with updating / reviewing RTH's optimized
generic string functions posted a while back, and only adding
RISC-V-specific ones if there is some clear reason RISC-V needs something
non-generic for optimal performance.
Joseph S. Myers