This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: PING^N: [PATCH] Add --enable-static-pie to build static PIE [BZ #19574]
- From: "H.J. Lu" <hjl dot tools at gmail dot com>
- To: "Carlos O'Donell" <carlos at redhat dot com>
- Cc: Szabolcs Nagy <szabolcs dot nagy at arm dot com>, nd <nd at arm dot com>, Joseph Myers <joseph at codesourcery dot com>, GNU C Library <libc-alpha at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2017 18:03:57 -0800
- Subject: Re: PING^N: [PATCH] Add --enable-static-pie to build static PIE [BZ #19574]
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <CAMe9rOoyPf-77=cqmEW5Vg2KHwq48g6giW38qpA=oDUsnHaxCA@mail.gmail.com> <alpine.DEB.firstname.lastname@example.org> <CAMe9rOrWi1W+F6K3TRL-2ipz-K4e0aP0ywsVg0XWgdCU1FV7OQ@mail.gmail.com> <CAMe9rOrTW7-JBtfOWjQrqMtS6Kp8efsAAbouFwQOnaAzh=sNpA@mail.gmail.com> <CAMe9rOr5qR-MnP+bEY_3OPdPK1qTnn_7JLi3Xn688E9JWKr1Zw@mail.gmail.com> <5A12C781.email@example.com> <CAMe9rOohYeS4BJFp=TB4Zz26V4K2n8ZXSJX9kYqgEa=eW+w1xQ@mail.gmail.com> <5A18196C.firstname.lastname@example.org> <CAMe9rOqFfabivUDke1_ZxyEtV+L9T7VwKKdsdnR9M418L2TQBg@mail.gmail.com> <CAMe9rOpNdwd52vEnAUzOkmwkJXUWZz9-=dc9xfeZ96CYVM=8gQ@mail.gmail.com> <email@example.com> <CAMe9rOpehZgqn6AXyRf8e99eTO8_Vw2+GVgcEyie0cW3fwwefirstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com>
On Fri, Dec 15, 2017 at 1:19 PM, Carlos O'Donell <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
> On 12/01/2017 10:24 AM, H.J. Lu wrote:
>> On Thu, Nov 30, 2017 at 1:44 PM, Carlos O'Donell <email@example.com> wrote:
>>> High Level:
>>> At a high level I have no objection with the idea of static PIE executables,
>>> it makes sense to support such things.
>> Thanks for your feedbacks.
> Thank you for putting together a v2, sorry it took me a while to review.
> This version looks good to me, it cleans up the outstanding issues with the
> implementation, and you have answered my questions about testing in the design.
> The firstword hack is removed in the implementation and that was the only thing
> that needed cleanup.
> Looks good to me. Please feel free to commit.
Thanks for your time. I checked it in with the updated commit log.
I also updated
for static PIE status. Should build-many-glibcs.py be updated to also
PIE for i386, x86_64 and x32? We can't build it by default since the