Re: RFC: remove the "tile" architecture from glibc

On 12/4/2017 6:10 AM, Adhemerval Zanella wrote:
Now back to thread topic, Chris Metcalf gave us some indications that
tilepro userbase and support do not justify the maintaining effort.  It
already has kernel ABI incompatibilities (for instance ca768667d873 fix on
linux and some atomic unsupported operations that broke the build on
recent glibc fixes).  I think we could at least remove old tilepro
support.

That's certainly a plausible middle ground.   Of course, tilepro support is
only 30 files (about half of which are just *.abilist files) out of 204 total
files for tile support, so the tree won't benefit as much from that cleanup.
But we have heard some support for tilegx, and none for tilepro, so maybe
that's a plausible position to land, particularly given the Debian interest.

For what it's worth, what I've heard from kernel maintainers suggests that
just marking tile as "Orphan" in the MAINTAINERS file and not deleting
any of the existing code is the right position in that community.

--
Chris Metcalf, Mellanox Technologies
http://www.mellanox.com