Re: Glibc stable release process (Glibc 2.26.1)

On 10/09/2017 06:57 AM, Florian Weimer wrote:
> On 10/03/2017 06:53 AM, Siddhesh Poyarekar wrote:
>> On Tuesday 03 October 2017 12:52 AM, Florian Weimer wrote:
>>> We continuously rebase Fedora on top of the upstream stable
>>> release branch for that Fedora release (but we do not switch
>>> branches within a release).
>>
>> Interesting that the Fedora community actually agreed to do that
>> because there was a significant amount of flaming in the past due
>> to this very reason.
>
> The Fedora community isn't really in a position to complain.  We
> didn't have much choice because maintaining patches in RPM is so
> painful.  I've been working on new patch management tools with spec
> file auto-editing and other frills, so the pendulum might well swing
> into the other direction in the future.

There isn't even any complaints. We took this to FESCo for an official
ruling, and I wrote up the rationale.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Glibc#Usage_of_Fedora_Rawhide

This is slightly on topic, that Fedora doesn't need specially named
point releases.

Carlos.