Re: Glibc stable release process (Glibc 2.26.1)

On 10/04/2017 09:02 PM, Siddhesh Poyarekar wrote:
> On Wednesday 04 October 2017 09:57 PM, Yann E. MORIN wrote:
>>> Having regular dot-releases would be awesome, yes! Thanks! :-)
>
> Wait, I didn't volunteer for time boxed point releases, I have
> volunteered only for 2.26.1.  Further releases would be based on how
> long this one takes and if I have enough time for it.  For 2.27 and
> beyond, it depends on the release manager for those releases.

Agreed, there is a danger here, we don't want to set a precedent
that the glibc release manager is always going to do a point release.

In fact I don't really understand the community requirements for this
at all, and I'm writing up some details on a proposal that might be
more flexible.

My key point is that the glibc community does not have the resources
to test and make point releases, but that the downstream, if they want
it, can coordinate this with a little help from us.

While I like the *idea* of point releases, a point release has a meaning
and it shall not be thrown over the wall.

Carlos.