Re: Glibc stable release process (Glibc 2.26.1)

On Monday 02 October 2017 01:50 AM, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> I've been doing distro work for some 17 years now (including at RH way
> back);
> while the packaging side of it is sort of a noop (you tool that anyway),
> the clarity
> and unambiguity of version numbers (in light of CVEs) is something users
> like, it
> sets a common baseline they don't have to look further at.

In my experience, users look at distro release numbers and notes first
and then upstream if they don't find the necessary information there.
So the idea that they'd look for upstream news to answer questions about
their own distros seems inside out.

> bisecting glibc patches outside of distro packages is mostly beyond end
> users' capability.

Agreed and most users don't even look at the packages, they look at
release notes.  I was referring to the QE teams and their convenience of
backing out individual patches in the spec file as opposed to figuring
out bisecting patches in git.  They're much more comfortable doing the
former since that is what they do all the time for all packages.

Siddhesh