Re: [patch] Fix for bz14333 -- race between atexit() and exit()

On 09/20/2017 10:50 AM, Joseph Myers wrote:
> I note the commit message just said "Fix BZ 14333".  Can people please
> include the more detailed descriptions of changes made, as in their
> mailing list postings, in the commit message?  There are certainly some
> simple changes for which just a summary line is sufficient explanation,
> but I don't think this was such a change.  Descriptive commit messages are
> especially important if we stop using ChangeLog entries in future.
>
> (This does mean it's good practice, when making a series of revisions of a
> patch, for each successive revision to have both the full self-contained
> explanation, updated for that patch revision, such as would go in the
> commit message, and a description of what changed from the previous patch
> version, which won't go in the commit message.)

I agree.

I expect committers to follow what we ask for here:

https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/Contribution%20checklist#Detailed_Explanation_of_the_Patch
~~~
5. Detailed Explanation of the Patch

The detailed explanation will become the body of the commit message
for your patch. Please keep this in mind and format accordingly or
indicate to the reviewer which part of the email should be the
body of the commit message.
~~~

I will be more diligent in asking the submitter to clarify exactly
what will be in the commit message and to repost with a clear message
for subsequent versions.

Carlos.