This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: [PATCH] Don't use hidden visibility in libc.a with PIE on i386
- From: Florian Weimer <fweimer at redhat dot com>
- To: "H.J. Lu" <hjl dot tools at gmail dot com>, GNU C Library <libc-alpha at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2017 11:23:56 +0200
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] Don't use hidden visibility in libc.a with PIE on i386
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- Authentication-results: ext-mx03.extmail.prod.ext.phx2.redhat.com; dmarc=none (p=none dis=none) header.from=redhat.com
- Authentication-results: ext-mx03.extmail.prod.ext.phx2.redhat.com; spf=fail smtp.mailfrom=fweimer at redhat dot com
- Dmarc-filter: OpenDMARC Filter v1.3.2 mx1.redhat.com 643A37E44D
- References: <20170822224425.GA29673@gmail.com>
On 08/23/2017 12:44 AM, H.J. Lu wrote:
> On i386, when multi-arch is enabled, all external functions must be
> called via PIC PLT in PIE, which requires setting up EBX register,
> since they may be IFUNC functions.
This explanation does not make sense to me. Could you elaborate further?
I suspect the actual problem is something else (probably a linker/ELF