This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: [PATCH] Add hidden visibility to internal function prototypes
- From: "H.J. Lu" <hjl dot tools at gmail dot com>
- To: Florian Weimer <fweimer at redhat dot com>
- Cc: GNU C Library <libc-alpha at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2017 05:40:31 -0700
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] Add hidden visibility to internal function prototypes
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <20170817122244.GA14297@gmail.com> <email@example.com>
On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 5:34 AM, Florian Weimer <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
> On 08/17/2017 02:22 PM, H.J. Lu wrote:
>> Add hidden visibility to internal function prototypes to allow direct
>> access to internal functions within libc.a without using GOT when the
>> compiler defaults to -fPIE.
>> Size comparison of elf/ldconfig when the compiler defaults to -fPIE:
> This is for static linking, right?
> Is there a reason to restrict this to PIE builds? Why not use hidden
> visibility unconditionally?
Yes, there is only used for static PIE build and we can replace
BUILD_PIE_DEFAULT with !defined SHARED. But it makes
no difference for non-PIE static build.