This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: NSS error reporting (bug 20532)
- From: Zack Weinberg <zackw at panix dot com>
- To: Florian Weimer <fweimer at redhat dot com>
- Cc: GNU C Library <libc-alpha at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2017 13:09:09 -0400
- Subject: Re: NSS error reporting (bug 20532)
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
On Thu, Aug 3, 2017 at 12:28 PM, Florian Weimer <email@example.com> wrote:
> I'm looking again at bug 20532 and related issues.
> The core problem is that the NSS service functions have many different
> ways of reporting result status:
It might be useful to make a list of _external conditions_, as
exhaustive as possible, and reason out what the visible results [at
the level of the documented interface] _should be_ for each one.
For instance, for gethostbyname:
- address records successfully retrieved - returns nonnull, ideally
h_errno and errno are unmodified
- configured DNS server returned a NXDOMAIN packet - returns NULL,
h_errno set to HOST_NOT_FOUND, ideally errno unmodified
- query to configured DNS server times out - h_errno set to TRY_AGAIN?