Re: AArch64 ILP32 abi in glibc

On 06/29/2017 01:13 PM, Szabolcs Nagy wrote:
> The patches to support ILP32 in the Linux kernel are not going
> into mainline, so the ILP32 port cannot be accepted into glibc
> master yet, see
>
> https://lkml.org/lkml/2017/6/29/557
>
> On the glibc side the plan is to create an ILP32 branch once the
> known glibc and kernel side issues are resolved. This way we have
> a canonical upstream branch for all ILP32 activity and we would
> like downstream consumers to use this branch. Contributions to
> this branch should go through the libc-alpha review process like
> for master and I expect interested parties including Cavium to
> help maintaining the branch.
>
> Current glibc policy is that when a glibc port is merged into
> mainline it receives an ABI bump. We will do our best to maintain
> ABI stability on the branch, but whether the ABI is maintained at
> the time of merge depends on the upstream glibc community.

Vendor branches for both sounds like a good plan.

I particularly like the idea that patches should get review on
libc-alpha following the normal process. That's a very good idea
if the eventual goal is to merge to master.

We can start another thread about new ports and vendor branch
merge policy.

Carlos.