Re: Basic requirements for supporting OS and machine ports.

On Fri, 21 Apr 2017, Carlos O'Donell wrote:

> So it sounds like you don't object to the basic requirements, just that
> supporting the basic requirements needs more infrastructure work.
>
> Could we then just agree on *one* basic requirement? That the machine
> and OS have build-many-glibcs.py support?

I don't object to a requirement of the form: new (machine, OS, ABI)
configurations are expected to have such support contributed when the
configuration support is added, and without such support there is no
expectation that developers will help fix any build or build-time-test
problems their patches may cause on the configurations lacking such
support.

This does not impose an ordering in which people must get support for
their (machine, OS, ABI) into various toolchain / kernel components, but
if e.g. the glibc support goes in before the kernel support, the build
with build-many-glibcs.py won't actually work and so there is no
expectation of people fixing build problems until all the relevant support
is upstream.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com