Re: Update copyright dates not handled by scripts/update-copyrights [committed]

On Mon, 2017-01-02 at 17:27 +0000, Joseph Myers wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Jan 2017, Joseph Myers wrote:
>
> > * it has public version control,
> >
> > * where commits are made for each logical change, not batched into a
> > commit per release (see bash for an example of such batching) or per day
> > or other such batching,
>
> And, frankly, I think maintain.texi should make these two into
> requirements for GNU packages rather than the present "It is very
> important to keep backup files of all source files of GNU. You can do this
> using a source control system (such as Bazaar, RCS, CVS, Git, Subversion,
> @dots{}) if you like.".

Agreed.  It would also help if the GNU coding standards would be clearer
regarding separating requirements from recommendations/opinions/taste.
For examples, nuggets such as " C++ is ok too, but please don’t make
heavy use of templates." certainly can't be a general requirement (that
would apply to libstdc++, for example).

> But that's a separate issue from not requiring
> ChangeLogs in certain cases.

Agreed.