Purpose of the elf/check-localplt test

What's the exact purpose of elf/check-localplt?

We do not want to use run-time relocations for calls within the same shared object on architectures which support efficient PC-relative calls. We also want to avoid interposable symbol references.

But elf/check-localplt doesn't quite check these things. For example, on x86_64, all X86_64_GLOB_DAT relocations are ignored. Technically, this is perhaps correct because there is no PLT entry. But checking things this way seems to provide rather limited value.

Thanks,
Florian